Enterprises today are fighting an uphill battle when it comes to security. While there is a proliferation of security management and reporting tools available, the lack of integration and visibility can add more complexity and snags rather than less. Working between multiple security systems diverts attention from other tasks in addition to costing money and causing frustration among IT personnel and management.
With these challenges in mind, IT organizations are making an effort to consolidate security portfolios to reduce complexity by investing in next-generation technologies as well as integrating with existing IT assets to streamline the process. At McAfee, we introduced our Security Connected framework to deliver security management with unprecedented visibility, and one of the most important pieces of this system is the McAfee® ePolicy Orchestrator® (McAfee ePO™) software. McAfee ePO enables organizations of all sizes to achieve dramatic efficiencies through centralized risk and compliance management.
In November, we released McAfee ePO version 5.1 as part of a long-term endpoint security initiative. This version extends the benefits of new and existing features by enabling Real Time for McAfee® ePolicy Orchestrator®, improving disaster recovery, adding additional browser support, and more—making it the most advanced security management platform available today. Take action more easily and immediately to manage potential risks and read on for 10 reasons why you should upgrade to McAfee ePO version 5.1 now.
1. Real Time for McAfee® ePO™
Sometimes it’s not just the information that is crucial, but also the speed at which it’s received. Whether you’re in an Emergency Room or IT department, having all of the pieces in real time is key to solving problems fast. Real Time for McAfee ePO answers security queries up to 1,000 times faster in order to provide the most recent threat intelligence necessary to keep mission critical systems safe.
2. Speed and Scalability
Enterprise networks are in the midst of an endpoint explosion, where the number and variety of devices per user has skyrocketed. With 152 new threats per minute, timing is more important than ever when it comes to security and managing the influx of devices. Real Time for McAfee ePO provides IT teams on the front lines with information in real-time in order to respond to advanced threats as well as scale growing enterprises.
3. Performance improvements
In tandem with McAfee Agent 4.8, ePO 5.1 optimizes communication between agent server and console to minimize traffic. Agent relay also provides better command and control to support remote office environments. Speed and quality of results are a priority and some of the key improvements in version 5.1 are:
- Native 64-bit support with reporting orientation for improved performance.
- Policy comparison and common task orientation for improved usability and navigation.
- Enterprise mobility management (EMM) can be installed on ePO version 5.1, allowing users to manage multiple types of mobile devices at a time.
4. Workflow and usability improvements
McAfee ePO has always been a role-based system, but the 5.1 release has added some upgrades to make it even easier to navigate and use, including:
- Tag grouping allowing for administrators to organize tags into logical groups and improve categorization usability.
- Support of the latest browsers, including IE8+, Firefox, and Safari 6 with a new HTML5 UI option.
- McAfee ePO is now supported in 18 languages.
5. Simplified deployments
Trimming the workflow screens down from seven to two, McAfee ePO 5.1 now offers a single page deployment for simplified workflow and ease of implementation. The URL installation of endpoint products has also been updated to accommodate easy remote endpoint installation.
For new customers installing McAfee ePO software for the first time, available products will be downloaded automatically.
6. Enhanced disaster recovery
Disaster Recovery set up with McAfee ePO 5.1 has been significantly improved. All files are stored in the database, and with a simple replication procedure users can rebuild a fully functional ePO server in the event of an outage or other situation. After running the installation script and pointing it to the replicated database, a replicate of the original ePO server will be created and ready to work. This mechanism can also be used to refresh hardware, or create test servers to mimic production servers.
7. Secure, compliant framework
When installed in FIPS mode, McAfee ePO 5.1 leverages FIPS certifiable code and compliant RSA libraries.
8. Access to the McAfee Security Innovation Alliance (SIA)
The McAfee Security Innovation Alliance (SIA) allows customers to expand the Security connected framework to partner products.
Through this alliance, McAfee is able to tackle security challenges with an open, collaborative approach. The McAfee SIA technology partner program allows customers to take advantage of SIA partner integrations and manage Partner software from the ePO dashboard as well as leverage the benefit of Security Connected concepts beyond McAfee solutions.
9. A Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection
To top things off, Gartner named McAfee as a leader in endpoint protection platforms. We believe that the McAfee ePO platform was perceived as very capable and scalable to support all McAfee products, with solid management and reporting capabilities across a number of disparate security controls.
According to Gartner, leaders demonstrate balanced progress and effort in all execution and vision categories. Their capabilities in advanced malware protection, data protection and/or management features raise the competitive bar for all products in the market, and they can change the course of the industry.
* This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from McAfee. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
10. McAfee ePO Cloud Beta
We also have plans for the future growth of McAfee ePO and are currently in the process of adding all of the goodness of McAfee ePO 5.1 into a cloud-based solution. Currently in beta, but more details coming soon! To learn more, visit beta.manage.mcafee.com.