This year’s FOCUS conference is less than two weeks away, and the McAfee team is gearing up to make it the best one yet! Between the rise in popularity of cloud computing, concerns surrounding the growing “BYOD” trend, and 2013’s much-discussed NSA revelations (courtesy of a one Mr. Snowden), it’s never been a better time to talk security. Nor is there a better place to do it.
FOCUS 13 will be a gathering of the best minds in the industry. We’re excited to host over 70 breakout sessions, a variety of Turbo Talks (informal, fast-paced, 20-minute chalk talks), Targeted Group Meetings, an epic exposition hall, numerous talented keynote speakers, and of course, some pretty great parties.
With so many events to choose from, we’ve decided to lend a hand and highlight some of our favorites. Don’t forget to choose your own favorites using the McAfee Agenda Builder – available online and through the FOCUS 13 mobile application.
1. The Sponsor Expo
Even if you don’t find yourself needing any new technologies or product subscriptions, walking through the FOCUS Sponsor Expo will prove to be an incredibly rewarding experience. This is your opportunity to meet fellow security industry professionals who are just as passionate about the space as you are. Ask questions, exchange business cards, and marvel at how far we’ve come and where our technologies are headed.
Veteran FOCUS attendees will notice a new addition to the Expo Hall: Turbo Talks. These informal, fast-paced, 20-minute chalk talks will be led by a Subject Matter Expert who will give a deep dive into a complex topic, hitting the main highlights. This is the perfect solution for the on-the-go attendee. Check out the schedule in the mobile app or the online agenda and show up early to make sure you have time to get your questions answered. Each Turbo Talk will be presented once on both October 2nd and 3rd.
The Sponsor Expo hours are below:
Tuesday, October 1st: 3pm – 8pm
Wednesday October 2nd: 11:30am – 3pm
Thursday October 3rd: 11:45am – 3pm
2. Keynote Speaker Leon Panetta
It’s not every day that you get an opportunity to hear from an ex-Director of the CIA. Especially when that ex- Director of the CIA also served as Secretary of Defense for a few years. Don’t miss this year’s FOCUS headliner, Leon Panetta, as he discusses Internet surveillance, privacy, and the future of security. Other FOCUS keynote speakers include McAfee President Mike DeCesare, EVP, CTO & GM of Corporate Products Mike Fey, and Renée J. James, President of Intel Corporation.
3. “Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and Network Security” -Breakout Session
The great thing about having 70 breakout sessions to choose from is that there truly is something for everyone. The bad thing is that it’s impossible to attend them all. One of the sessions we’re most looking forward to is the BYOD and Network Security Talk on Wednesday October 2nd from 4:40 – 5:30pm. It’s hosted by Sangram Dange, McAfee’s Director of Product Management and will educate attendees on how to put together a practical strategy for working in a BYOD environment.
Other sessions in the Network Security Track include:
- 8:00 AM – 9:15 AM Deep Dive: Building a Successful Data Loss Prevention Program
- 1:30 PM – 2:20 PM How Network Security Unlocks Your World
- 2:30 PM – 3:20 PM Accuvant: Integration Vectors of Next Generation McAfee Network IDS/IPS Systems
- 2:30 PM – 3:20 PM ForeScout: Continuous Monitoring and Mitigation
- 3:30 PM – 4:20 PM The Next Firewall
- 4:40 PM – 5:30 PM Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and Network Security
- 4:40 PM – 5:30 PM Network Security Platform
- 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM Deep Dive: Point Solutions Ineffective Against Advanced Malware
- 1:30 PM – 2:20 PM Real-Time Data Protection with DLP and ESM
- 3:30 PM – 4:20 PM Protecting Virtual Environments
- 3:30 PM – 4:20 PM Mobile Device Protection from Network Security
- 4:40 PM – 5:30 PM Best Practices for Network Security Management
4. “An Organizations Learnings from Anonymous” -Breakout Session
Join McAfee leaders Michael Sentonas (VP & CTO of APAC) and Sean Duca (Enterprise Solutions Architect) to discuss the tools and techniques used by Anonymous in attacks on enterprises and government agencies. “Anonymous” refers to a loosely collected group of activists and hackers who have been responsible for taking down Visa, Mastercard, & PayPal among other major public and private entities. Details will be provided on the McAfee solutions used to monitor their movement in the network and lateral spread throughout the organization. This session will provide tips on what to do with the help of McAfee solutions to enact protective measures in response to targeted attacks on your organization, should they arise. This session will be held from 1:30 – 2:20pm on Wednesday, October 2nd.
Other sessions in the “Security Connected” Track include:
- 8:00 AM – 9:15 AM Deep Dive: Security Considerations for Internet of Things
- 1:30 PM – 2:20 PM An Organization’s Learnings from Anonymous
- 3:30 PM – 4:20 PM Fighting Insider Threats With McAfee SIA
- 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM Deep Dive: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Scaling and Agent Features
- 1:30 PM – 2:20 PM Make Security Metrics More Meaningful
- 3:30 PM – 4:20 PM How Organizations Increase Results with the Expert Inside
5. Private Performance by Kid Rock
Relive your glory days at a private rock concert held exclusively for McAfee FOCUS attendees. One of rock’s most popular stars, Kid Rock’s musical repertoire boasts an impressive collection of hit songs including “Born Free”, “Bawitdaba,” “Cowboy,” “Only God Knows Why,” and “All Summer Long”. At the special event held on Wednesday night from 7 – 11pm, guests can enjoy appetizers, drinks, mingling and dancing. To see what other social activities we have in store for FOCUS guests, check out the Special Events page.
We hope you’re as excited as we are for the fast-approaching FOCUS 13. The McAfee social media team will be on site covering each of the above events, live tweeting sessions, posting pictures and videos from the conference. Be sure to like FOCUS 13 on Facebook and follow @FOCUSconference on Twitter to stay up to date on the latest before and during the event, and tag your posts with #McAfeeFOCUS and #FOCUS13 to be featured on our social wall!
Registration is still open for this year’s event, so if you haven’t purchased a ticket it’s not too late. Remember, FOCUS comes but once a year!